Материал из Энциклопедия фонда «Хайазг»
|Адрес:||216 N Brand Boulevard Glendale CA 91203 United States|
|Телефон/Факс:||(800) 233-3123, 818-243-ALEX (2539), Fax: 818-243-3622|
The historic Alex Theatre is a Glendale-area landmark, the community's premier performing arts venue and a hub of artistic and economic activity for the city's downtown business and entertainment district. It serves a 25-mile area with a population of over 500,000.
History A registered historic landmark, the "Alexander" Theatre began life in 1925 as a neighborhood vaudeville and movie house. It hosted Hollywood previews and screened first-run films until the 1980s, when it closed after several years of decline. In 1992, the Glendale Redevelopment Agency invested $6.2 million to transform it into a performing arts center and an anchor for their revitalization plans.
Reopening on New Year's Eve 1993, the Alex today is a vital nexus of entertainment, commerce and civic activity. It is home to five resident companies: Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles, Glendale Youth Orchestra, Alex Film Society, and Musical Theatre Guild.
The Theatre also hosts many other classical, popular, and culturally/ ethnically focused concerts, and is a venue for community groups, film shoots, civic events, and local business uses.